Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day! It was such a busy day! We had lunch at Nathan's mom's then went to my aunt's house for dinner (celebrating graduation, mother's day, and dad's birthday). A busy day for Kelsie often means less sleep and today that lack of sleep led to the worst tantrum I have ever witnessed! We got home and she unleashed her inner tiger or something. Oh, it was quite a scene. Screaming and crying so hard she almost threw up! She was just soooooo tired! We did a lot today. She went down for nap late since we were at his parents' house for lunch, then we had to get her up after only an hour of sleep to go to my aunt's house. And she ran around outside non-stop from 5-9p while there. So as I was witnessing this major meltdown trying to contemplate what to do next but could hardly do anything to console her, I remembered that she didn't eat much at dinner and it had at that point been almost 4 hours since she had eaten so I thought maybe she is hungry. Since she is not usually awake at that time of night, that's not something I usually think about. I asked "do you want some milk?" and she calmed for a second and said "ok." As soon as I got back with her milk and a cereal bar, she calmed right down. Then kept saying "mmmm, delilicious" as she ate it! Needles to say, an overly exhausted and hungry child is a force to be reckoned with!! Poor thing said as we laid down and she rubbed her eyes, "seepy". She asked me to sing, held my hand, and laid her face against mine, then was asleep within 60 seconds.

But the greatest tantrum of her existence reminded me:
Parenting is hard and we are still learning as we go!
Sometimes being a mom requires more patience and grace than you know how to give.
Your child depends on you to meet their needs even when they don't know how to express them.
It is more important to figure out WHY your child is acting the way they are than it is to correct the behavior.
Your child finds so much comfort in your voice and in your touch. Make sure you are always there to comfort them and that you will always love them no matter what!


I am also so thankful for my mom today! For her love, support, hard work, kindness, grace, selflessness, and friendship. She is the greatest woman I know and I am so blessed she is my momma and is such an awesome grandma to Kelsie! I am also so thankful God blessed me with the beautiful gift of motherhood! It is the greatest love I have ever known and the hardest but most wonderful job I have ever had! That little girl brings me so much joy and I am so glad God made her mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment