Friday, November 30, 2012

21 months

Kelsie is 21 months old. (once she turns 2, I'll stop counting in months!)

New words she has added to her vocabularly the past few weeks are "MINE" and "toys". Oh yes, we are definitely approaching the terrible 2s. Not only does mine mean she is claiming ownership, but it also appears to mean leave me alone, as this is MY SPACE and I want you out of it..don't try to lean in and kiss me when I am feeling ornery..."MINE". Yes, we hear this many times a day now!
Toys is a really cute sound though. After having a fit in the middle of Kohl's one day, I had a talk with her about not ever doing that again. I then told her that we were about to go into a toystore but as soon as I said it was time to go, she better not cry or have a fit or we would not go back. I asked it she wanted to be a good girl and go look at the toys and thats when she said "toys" for the first time. And then just couldn't stop saying it. And just in time for Christmas.

She is still running around, getting better at climbing steps, still holds our hand but climbs with alternating steps. She is learning to jump - or at least tries to. She is throwing a ball well overhanded. And likes to sling her toys out of the toy box ... like hard. She reaches in and just slings them behind her. Heavy toys too. She even likes to pick up her play kitchen and slide it across the floor. She often picks up heavy toys and carries them into the kitchen. This girl has some muscle!

She is adding to her vocabulary every day. She tries to say any and everything. Most of what she says doesn't sound much like the actual word but I can understand it. She tries to put words together too like "Help me".

She is crazy about Elmo and her baby doll. And quite affectionate and nurturing to all of her stuffed animals and baby dolls.

Still hooked on the paci at night...not sure how we will ever break her from those. But it will happen one day. I haven't even tried yet. But I will conquer up the nerve eventually.

Big highlight of this month is the new big girl bed! We got it a few weeks ago and she has done so well from the very beginning. I was worried about the transition at first but it wasn't a big deal at all. She cried a little more the first night about falling asleep but then slept pretty well. She did fall off the bed a couple of times and I had to go in and put her back in the bed. We have her old crib mattress lying beside the bed and the bed sits really close to the floor anyway, so its only a short distance to roll of as it is. But its enough to startle her. She doesn't do that as often anymore but when she does she just gets back up and climbs in bed on her own. The first week of getting the bed, she would walk up to her room and just laugh, so excited over her new bed! She still loves to go in there and sit and read books. And she now wakes up so much happier than she did when sleeping in the crib. She used to cry when she woke up; now she wakes up saying "ma ma" or "mommy" in the sweetest little voice ever! This morning was the first time she actually woke up and walked to my room without calling for me. It was quite cute to see her walking in here. I'm surpised it took her 3 weeks to do this but am sure this will not be an common occurrence anymore.

She has such a great laugh and I can't get enough of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment