Monday, November 26, 2012

Antibiotics...again

After 3 weeks on Augmentin for the cough that was thought to be from a sinus infection but never went away, we are now on another round of antibiotics. And this time it is much stronger. I kept thinking since the cough was still lingering around, it was probably just all part of a viral infection as her doctor had suggested. But it has now been 7 weeks since it first started and 3 weeks since she has been off the antibiotics. I emailed her doctor to let her know, and she suggested starting more antibiotics first thing. She also gave me a more invasive option which included taking her in for PFTs under sedation, starting a PICC line at that time, doing a bronchoscopy to view her lower airways and planning for possible admission to do IV antibiotics. I have to say, I was pretty surprised at that 2nd option and opted to just try another round of oral antibiotics first. She agreed with that plan but said if the cough isn't improved in a week, she would like to proceed with option 2 next week. So I am just praying this goes away before then, because imagining her being hospitalized for the first time at this age is just unbearable for me right now.

Besides that little lingering cough, she really hasn't acted sick. She hasn't been eating well at all the past 2 weeks but part of me just thought that was normal toddler behavior (although I was still concerned it could be something else). Her doctor was concerned about that as well because kids with CF often have a decrease in appetite and weight loss when they have pneumonia. But I'm hoping thats not what it is. And if it is, I hope this antibiotic kicks in quickly. So far, her cough is much better today. She did cough for about an hour last night during sleep which she hasn't done in a long time but then coughed only once today. She ate better today too. The antibiotic is Bactrim and she is getting the highest dose. She is taking 15ml and boy is it a struggle to get it in her. In the past, she had learned to love taking her medicine because I would sing and dance around the kitchen, but even that isn't working this time. I hate forcing meds but thats what I ended up having to do today and she hated. And so did I. We both cried. Hopefully some of my other tricks will work in the next day or so. I'm really hoping and praying this doesn't turn into anything more and that we don't end up at the hospital next week.


1 comment: