Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Cystic Fibrosis Fundraiser

We are participating in a fundraiser for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation this Saturday and are asking for your support. We will be bowling in an event called "Bowl Away CF" this Saturday Oct 20th. We have set a goal to raise $5,000 in funds that will go directly to the CFF for research of new life-saving treatments for people with Cystic Fibrosis. We hope that these efforts will one day discover a cure for this terrible illness. To donate to support our team, "Team Kelsie", please visit my homepage and "Click to Donate". Everything is secure so you can be sure that your money is going directly to the CFF by donating online. Any donation amount is greatly appreciated. If you do not feel you can donate monetarily, we completely understand, just ask that you continue to pray that one day a cure will be found. Thanks so much and love to you all! Here is the website where you can donate if you would like: http://www.cff.org/LWC/KimberlyHouston

The organizer of this fundraiser asked if I would share my story, so I thought I would put it on the blog as well.

Our daughter, Kelsie, was diagnosed with CF at 2 weeks of age after it was discovered on her newborn screening test. My husband and I had no idea we were carriers of the CF gene and were naturally shocked and devastated at the news. Looking ahead, we were faced with heart-wrenching fear and uncertainty wondering how this diagnosis would affect our little girl and our entire family. It was a very difficult few weeks as we processed the news and started to educate ourselves about the disease and how to manage it on a daily basis. The initial visit took almost an entire day as we met with healthcare professionals from various disciplines. I remember I kept tearing up, thinking, I can't believe this is happening. This is my first child, the daughter I have waited my whole life for, she is 3 weeks old and this is supposed to be the most joyous time of my life. Instead, I am sitting here in a hospital hearing about this disease that will require her to take medicine every day for the rest of her life, sit through chest PT & breathing treatments on a daily basis, suffer from recurrent respiratory infections, struggle to breathe, endure multiple hospital stays, and it will likely take her life at an early age. The fear and the distress thinking about all of those inevitable factors threatened to consume me and rob me of the joy of being a new mom.

But I decided I would hunker down and stop dwelling on the negatives and the “what ifs?” Instead, I would focus on taking the best care of Kelsie that I possibly could and make sure that she had the same opportunities as any other child. I would do everything in my power to make sure she never felt held back by CF and would do all I could to keep her as healthy as possible. I quickly learned that the list of therapies to do the latter was quite extensive! As a new mom, I was exhausted. As a new mom with a child with CF, I was doubly exhausted, both physically and emotionally. I still feel that way most days. But every day with her is still wonderful. I absolutely love being with her, spending time with her, teaching her new things and doing all the mother-daughter things we can do together. But keeping up with managing her disease is a job (and we will soon be tacking on even more therapies that will make it even busier). She currently takes about 20 pills per day. And gets chest PT 30 minutes twice a day every day when she is healthy and even more when she is sick. She has to take 4 capsules (we have to open each one up and sprinkle it on applesauce) before she can eat anything or even drink her milk. It is time consuming, difficult, and stressful doing this for each meal and each snack, whether in your kitchen, in the grocery store, at church, or in your car, especially when you have a hungry and inpatient toddler who is ready to eat. But it is the only way her body can digest and absorb food so it is absolutely vital for her. There is also just the mental battle of balancing everything nutritionally (salt, fluids, fat, calories) and worrying about infection risks/prevention. It is hard to explain - there is just simply a lot to think about every day.

Kelsie is now 19 months old and has done very well so far with her illness. She has only had 3 colds in her life, but 2 of them quickly turned into a sinus infection (a complication of CF). She is currently being treated for the 2nd sinus infection with a 20 day course of antibiotics. This is her first real cough since she was born but I can't help but think, this is only just the beginning. As a pediatric nurse practitioner, I see kids with cough every day and generally don't get too excited about a little cough and cold. But with Kelsie, the cough is more than that. A lot more than that. For me, her cough somehow represents a lifetime of lung infections and respiratory symptoms. So every time I hear it, I cringe. It also makes me worry about the additive effect, worrying that each infection is just going to do more damage each time. And no matter how far I have gone to accept this diagnosis, there are days, I still can't shake that looming fear. I try not to let it stand in my way of being the mom Kelsie needs me to be, but it is still there. It's like a storm cloud off in the distance. It is beautiful and sunny where you are now. Everything is bright and lively but you can't help but notice that ominous cloud ahead. You know it is coming, you just don't know how long it will take to get here. And you know after one hits, there will be a series of others popping up along the way. So you do your best to enjoy every single minute of the sunshine because you have that sliver of fear that the storm just might take your sun away forever.

My sunshine – my sweet Kelsie - is the happiest and most vibrant little toddler who is full of personality. She is independent and resilient. She is strong willed and determined. She is so affectionate. She is very social, saying “hi” or blowing kisses to people she doesn't even know. She is so smart. She is beautiful. And she is just like any other child her age. I think of all of her qualities and I can already tell she is going to do something great one day. She is going to be successful, she is going to make an impact on people, and she is going to love life. The only thing that will threaten to stand in her way is this disease. It will tag along beside her every day for her entire life. There will be days it will be somewhat forgotten as the pills and treatments will be just as routine to her as brushing your teeth is to you. But there will be other days when it will feel like it is suffocating her, both literally and figuratively. She will never get a break from the meds, the treatments, or the thought of a shortened life expectancy. That is, as long as there is no cure. The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation has done amazing work to date researching new therapies to improve the quality of life for children and adults with CF. We cling to the hope that they will continue to unveil new discoveries that may one day lead to a cure for this disease so that no one with CF will ever have to suffer the consequences of this terrible disease again. Please help us fight this disease by supporting the foundation that funds this vital research. My daughter's future depends on it.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment