Monday, October 1, 2012

Chest PT vest has arrived

We got Kelsie's first PT vest this weekend and its actually going pretty well. She has tolerated the full 30 minutes every time and even smiles when we pull out, excited that she gets to do it again. I think she sees it as something new and exciting right now but hopefully she will continue to like it when the newness wears off. We just turn on the TV and she seems fine sitting there. I have given her my phone to play with to distract her as well, but the vibration shakes her so much that I think that is even difficult so sometimes she just gives it back. It seems to bother her ears and nose because she rubs them frequently (when Nathan tried it at the clinic, he said it really makes your nose and ears itch) and it also makes her very tired - we always see her rubbing her eyes and yawning during her treatments. I'm so glad that she doesn't mind it though, because if she did, it would be 10x harder on me.  I already don't like it. I'm trying to have a good attitude about it, but its hard. Its hard to see her in it. It looks so uncomfortable and it just reminds me of her disease every time we pull it out. Its a wonderful invention, though, and I am thankful that she has the opportunity to start it at such an early age. I know it will play a huge role in keeping her lungs healthy and I hope that starting it this early will be very beneficial for her in the long run. We have to do it for 30 minutes twice a day, every day, forever, so I better get used to it, right? The machine comes in a bag on wheels, making it easier for transport. But it is still super heavy and is going to be challenging to carry on trips. On the bright side, this now takes the place of manual chest PT and should be more effective in providing good airway clearance especially since she has begun to resist manual PT so much. It still makes me sad to have to make my baby sit and do this for an hour everyday. But its necessary and its really not that bad. Just have to figure out a new way to incorporate it into our routine.







No comments:

Post a Comment