Thursday, April 26, 2012

1st sinus infection

Kelsie seems to have a residual sinus infection from the cold she got from me a couple of weeks ago. She's still a little congested but doesn't have any drainage, I can just hear it and have to suction it out a couple times a day. And her voice just sounds terrible. She is so hoarse and at first I thought it could have been from crying from sleep training but it's only getting worse and sounding stuffy. She's had a dip in her appetite and her naps have been a little off but she's also got 2 teeth coming in so that could explain some of that. But it could still post-nasal drip from her sinuses making her feel yucky so her CF doctor still thinks this is a sinus infection and wants to start antibiotics. I've been on the fence because I don't want to over treat but of course I want her to have it if she needs it. And I can see enough changes in her behavior in the presence of this congestion and hoarseness that I also thinks its time for antibiotics. But it also makes me kind of sad because I know this is only the first of many rounds of antibiotics in her life. I know all children have to be on antibiotics at some point and I know I prescribe a lot of them but most of those kids will grow out of that need, but with Kelsie, her need for antibiotics will only increase as she gets older. It's also kind of a reality check into the pathology and severity of CF. This is only her 2nd cold and she has already gotten a sinus infection from it. If you remember, people with CF are at a greater risk of sinus infections because that mucous has a harder time draining out. In the lungs, we can help clear out that mucous by pounding on her chest but we can't pound on her face to help clear her sinuses. Granted it is much more serious to have multiple lung infections over a lifetime than sinus infections but having recurrent sinus infections will still make you feel bad. So I don't want my baby to have either. I don't want her to have this disease at all. But that's not up to me. So I'll just thank God for making us Kelsie's parents and for assuring me that he knows more about this than we do. And also pray that she will not have many problems with pneumonia and that her lungs will stay super healthy.

This picture was taken before our walk this morning. She's so happy to be outside. And even when she's not 100%, she still has the best smile! I love you baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment