Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Sleep is a wonderful thing!

Kelsie has been having some tummy troubles lately and its hard to know if its just typical baby reflux, if its discomfort related to the CF, or if its from all the new meds we have to put in her little body. This has definitely disprupted her sleep which obviously disrupts our sleep and just makes me feel anxious and worried about her. A couple nights ago, she was so uncomfortable. She would eat and then go back to sleep but then she would wake up 5-30 min later grunting and fussing needing to burp or spit up. Reflux has been a big issue so I even tried elevating the head of her mattress but it still didn't help. There have been so many variables in her care that it makes it difficult to know exactly what to change.  So after much trial and error with her meds and feedings, I decided to break the rules and see if putting her on her tummy would help. And let me tell you, that has made the BIGGEST difference. For the 2nd night in a row, she has slept so well! She wakes up every 3 1/2 hours to eat and is back down within 30 minutes and hardly any spit up. And after 2 nights of this good sleep, not only is she feeling better, but I also feel like a new woman! I even felt brave enough to take a shower yesterday morning while she was sleeping! BIG STEP I tell you! I have been really nervous about leaving her alone at any time but especially while she is sleeping because her reflux is so bad, she sometimes chokes on it.  But since putting her on her tummy, this has not been an issue.  She still has the reflux and yesterday even vomited a couple of times but I think this is related to the vitamins she is taking.  There has been so much alteration in her care each day but I'm starting to figure out which feeding/sleeping and med schedule works best for her. Slowly, but surely, we are figuring this out!

Oh but if I remove my mommy hat and put back on my Pediatric Nurse Practitioner hat...I must say "PUT BABIES ON THEIR BACKS TO SLEEP!" It really is the safest ways for babies to sleep, but in special situations, tummy may be needed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment