Thursday, January 3, 2013

Health update

1 - Appetite...back to being an issue. She started eating well again for maybe a a week, but is now refusing food again. She'll eat oatmeal in the morning consistently (if she's distracted by TV), but other than that, her intake has become pretty minimal again. Now that we've started Pediasure, she will drink that without fail, but I have to be careful not to give it to her too early during mealtime or thats all she'll take. For a child who never liked much milk, she definitely asks for it a lot now! She's getting about 2 of those a day. I usually just mix 1/2 bottle of Pediasure with whole milk to give her at mealtime and she gets some at snack too. If she doesn't eat her food, I keep trying to find something that she will eat and if she still refuses, I just give her more Pediasure. It has all the nutrition she needs for a full meal so if she doesn't eat, I at least feel better that she is still getting nourishment through the Pediasure to help fill in the gaps.

2 - Constipation - this has been difficult to manage with her. Once she gets backed up, its always very difficult to get her back on a good routine. I did the 1 cap a day daily until she was having consistent soft/loose stools then I backed down to 1/2 cap but as soon as I back down, it seems she gets constipated again within a day or 2. Her stools are not hard so I don't think she's having residual old stool, its just more formed and she's only passing a small small amt. Big belly, and not eating. So makes me think constipation again. ?

3 - Reflux - We have obviously always known this was a problem for her but I never actually saw her refluxing since she was a baby until recently. Even though we have restarted the Zantac, we are definitely noticing her burp things up more than we ever have.

4 - Cough - I got sick with a virus about 2 weeks ago. I had the worst sore throat of my life, was in urgent care on Christmas Eve and took a Z-pack, and thought for sure Kelsie would get it. It led to the classic congestion/cough but was never terrible however I am still coughing some. I definitely think Kelsie has had a touch of it and even wondered if she could have had a sore throat which might explain her lack of desire to eat...but she seems to be passing it pretty well. She had a slight elevation in her temp last Sat (99.8), some nasal congestion, and coughing both overnight and during the day. But that seems to be resolving!! :) Keeping fingers crossed! Cough is way less, maybe once or twice a day, none at night. No more congestion. She is overall more cranky/tired so I think she has felt bad from something but hopefully improving.

5 - Hypertonic saline! We waited until after Christmas to start it (just with all the traveling, thought it would be easiest) and we have been able to do it 15 min twice a day consistently since we started it on 12/29. She is doing super! I am soo soo proud of her! The doctor told us she would be happy if we could get it in just 4x a week at first, expecting that it may take 6 months before she got to the goal of 15 min twice daily. But we're already there!  The first night she fought it, we bribed her with a prize and ever since she just seems to get it and understand. She's not fighting anymore, and will even help hold it. I feel this is likely responsible for how well she has done getting through this little cold. It makes her cough but that is a good thing because the point of it is to help her clear out secretions.

No comments:

Post a Comment