Thursday, October 27, 2011

I'm Gonna Love You Through It - Martina McBride

I heard this song on the radio today and it instantly brought me to tears. It reminded of the unconditional love and support I received from Nathan after my car accident in 2006. It wasn't a cancer diagnosis (which has to been one of the worst things to experience) but in some ways it was similar in terms of the years of surgeries and therapies that I faced as a result of the injuries I sustained. But Nathan was there, and as the song says, loved me through it, every single part of it. I made it through those years of pain and suffering and rehabilitation, in large part, because he was by my side to hold my hand and help me through it.


And when I got the call that Kelsie had CF, I called Nathan, and while I was barely able to speak through the tears, I told him what the doctor had said. He immediately dropped everything at work and drove straight home, keeping me on the phone the whole way. It has been so hard for both of us, but we have helped each other through the days of grief, fear, anger, and sorrow. Now faced with the chronic nature of Kelsie's disease, we don't know what lies ahead, but we will undoubtedly face some hard times as we watch our daughter suffer through the afflictions of sickness. But no matter what, I know that we will love and support one another through the tough times and will celebrate and laugh our way through the good times.


I also know that Kelsie will personally go through pain and frustration as a result of her CF but I will commit myself to doing anything I can to help her through it. And I will always make sure she knows:


"When you’re weak, I’ll be strong
When you let go, I’ll hold on
When you need to cry, I swear that I’ll be there to dry your eyes
When you feel lost and scared to death,
Like you can’t take one more step
Just take my hand, together we can do it
I’m gonna love you through it."

No comments:

Post a Comment