Monday, October 17, 2011

My resistant napper

Oh the past few days have been rough!! Since learning to crawl, Kelsie has decided she will protest falling asleep to the best of her ability! In fact the only way I have been able to get her to sleep is by driving her around or nursing her to sleep. So it's just been all around frustrating and exhausting! Don't get me wrong, while exhausting, its also been a lot of fun watching her succeed at reaching these big milestones and discover the new things she can do. But the sleep issues have just left me to wonder...

Is she trying to drop a nap but can't quite figure it out? I think this is most likely. And since crawling is just so exciting, maybe she just doesn't want to sleep because shes afraid she will miss something - sleep? C'mon mom, it's so much more fun to explore!

But then there are those other unknowns that make me worry. I mean, it's not her typical, I don't want to sleep cry.

So is she sick? She has been sounding congested lately and has been pulling at her ears - but maybe she is just pulling at them more because she is so tired, she does that sometimes too. Temp? 99.6 yesterday but nothing more than that.

Or maybe it's her stomach, she was constipated for a couple of days, then has been gassy and having a lot of loose stools for the last couple of days.
Maybe she isn't absorbing as well and we need to go up on her enzyme dosage?

And she got her first diaper rash too, so maybe that has something to do with it. She screamed when I wiped it the other night, and it really seemed to be bothering her. Clearing up now though.

What if she isn't getting enough milk and is just hungry? Needing more calories because of how many she is burning off everyday now. I can't really just try to feed her anytime she is fussy though, because she would end up overdosed on enzymes.

We haven't been doing a great job of getting her full extra dose of salt in her every day (1/4 tsp of salt is a lot for a baby) so what if her sodium is low and she is feeling more dehydrated and thirsty - ok, I know that is irrational, we've got wet diapers and slobber, so yes, she's hydrated.

So maybe she is teething? I don't see or feel anything but still possible.

Maybe the hip brace has caused poor sleep associations? Since we put in on her after she has fallen asleep, maybe she remembers waking up uncomfortably restrained and is now afraid to fall asleep.

Or maybe I am just a first time mom who worries about all these little things? Yeah, I think that's definitely part of it!

Regardless, I know it will pass eventually!


No comments:

Post a Comment