Sunday, June 26, 2011

Dreading tomorrow...

Tomorrow Kelsie has her first pulmonary function test. This is routinely done in patients with CF around 4 months of age and is a baseline test to measure her lung function while she is well. If she gets sick, it will be used as a comparison to determine how badly her lungs are being affected by the infection and will help to guide treatment decisions.  This test is routinely done in patients with asthma; and in older children and adults, is as simple as measuring how well one can take in and blow out a breath. But in babies, it is obviously impossible to ask them to breathe in and out on demand, so they must be sedated. While under sedation, they put her in a special box and force air in and out, measuring her lung capacity. I'm sure she will do perfectly fine, but still dread watching her go through that. I know it will be harder on me than it will her, but I still just hate the thought of sitting at the hospital for a few hours while my baby undergoes this procedure. We are praying that the test comes back to show that her lungs are functioning at optimal level for a 4 month old, but also realize that because she has CF, it is likely that this will not be the case! Please pray for my strength as well, because its just another reminder that she has CF, something which still tears at my heart. However, I still know that God is in control and praise Him that she has been so healthy so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment