Friday, June 17, 2011

Yikes! Where is mommy's milk?

This past week has been a bit stressful recovering from this awful mastitis. After about 2-3 days, the pain and redness finally subsided but what followed was a dramatic decrease in my milk supply! I started noticing Kelsie getting really agitated during feedings and was still hungry afterwards. So I knew I was not producing enough milk to satisfy her and had to start giving her a couple ounces of pumped milk after feedings. It is such an awful feeling to feed your baby and see that they are not getting enough, but thankfully, I had some reserve stored up in the freezer! On Wednesday, I worked and was so distressed to find that I was only pumping about 1/2 of what she takes per feeding. I expected this to be the case on the side with the infection, but my supply was actually down on both sides. A lactation consultant told me that some women never get their full supply back after mastitis so I became so stressed and worried that that would happen to me. I really want Kelsie to receive only breast milk for as long as possible so I have been working hard to try to keep up my supply and recover from this infection. It requires alot more work (warm water soaks, hot compresses, massage, Ibuprofen, pumping...even in the middle of the night.) but I think it is definitely worth it. I also started a supplement called Fenugreek that is supposed to boost the milk supply. Other than making me smell like maple syrup, it has no other effects and already seems to be working. I just pray it continues to build back up and that I never get mastitis again!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment